Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Childhood Memories


My sister’s family and my parents went to Italy with “The Kids”. They sent me a couple of pictures and this one to the left is my absolute favorite. It shows what my family is up to. My mom is an offroad runner and supports me doing my triathlons. Looks like she is setting the foundation for Sara Mia and Elisa to become good swimmers. Thanks Mom!! I’ll do the rest of the coaching in a few years! My sister and her husband Gerard are pretty cool. I like them a lot and I miss them. I miss The Kids, too.
My parents took us (my sister Michaela and me) to Italy every year until we were about 6 years old. I have vivid memories of that time. I could write pages about them right now, but will limit it to one. Whenever you went to the supermarket to by stuff (we usually bought Italian white bread, broshuto, salami, jam and juice) you got a Gracie-sticker. When you had a certain amount of stickers, you got a blow-up water ball. I got the nicest one, with some sort of Little Kitty on it, it was white and pink and just very nicely painted. One day it was windy, I was in the ocean playing and the ball took off. I was about 4. (I now wonder where my ‘guardians’ were. Swimming in the ocean with 4?) Anyways, I ran back to the beach crying. Our beach towel neighbors sun (at this time around 11 maybe) tried to chase after the ball but no luck. Sure I got another ball, but not that nice one as they ran out of those. Coming back home from the vacation, I wanted to get into a swim club, because next time I wanted to get my ball back myself. I was angry for a couple of days, because this neighbor’s boy claimed he is a good fast swimmer, his parents telling me he was Freischwimmer (‘Free Swimmer’) certified. That did NOT impress me at all. At age 4 I was Freischwimmer. You can become “Freischwimmer” certified when you go to the lifeguard at the pool and swim 50 yards without stopping. You then receive a Freischwimmer iron-on that you can put on your swim suit.

No comments: